If you want your coffee machine to keep producing great coffee it’s important to descale it regularly. Forgetting to descale can even cause your machine to break – which is a disaster considering the cost of some of the best bean-to-cup machines!
I own the Delonghi ECAM 22.110 (I bought it because of the review here) and I’ve just descaled it this morning. I thought some of my readers might like to know how to do it.
How to Descale the ECAM 22.110
- When the descale light starts to flash, that’s your cue!
- Turn on the machine and wait until it says it’s ready to use.
- Make sure there is no water in the tank and get rid of the filter if you’re using it (you can put this back in afterwards).
- Pour the descaling fluid into the tank up to the “A” mark. Then add a litre of water up to level “B.” Both these marks can be clearly seen on the sides of the tank.
- Make sure there is a container under the cappuccino maker otherwise you’ll have a messy kitchen!
- Press and hold the descale button for around five seconds. The light on this button should remain on.
- Next, turn the steam dial to the “1” position.
- The machine will then go through its full repertoire of cleaning and rinsing programmes to get rid of any scale. At times, it might seem like the machine isn’t doing anything – but that’s completely normal.
- The entire process takes around 30 minutes. Once done, make sure the steam dial is switched to “0.”
- Empty the container and remove the water tank. Rinse the tank and then fill it with fresh water before putting it back into the machine.
- Now put the steam dial to “1” again (make sure you replace the container beneath the cappuccino spout first!). The machine should now rinse with hot water. Once done, put the steam dial back to “0” and the rinse light should turn off.
- You’re done!
This sounds like a complicated process, but once you’ve done it a few times it becomes easy.
If you’re more of a visual person, here’s a quick guide from Delonghi themselves:
If this post has helped you, or if you have any questions, just use the comments form!